Monday, December 12, 2005

So They're Called Christmas Cards, right?

Dear Santa,

Why can't I talk about you anymore in school? Someone told me that I couldn't put a Christmas tree on my desk. Do you know why? Does this mean there will be no Christmas? I really hope that's not true. Please write back. I've been good this year!

Love,
Brian

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Brian,

Keep your holid... er, Christmas spirit up. Of course there will be Christmas this year! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. So do yourself a favor and go balls out this year. Overemphasize the word Christmas as much as possible and spread your anger on a blog for all the world to read, or at least you and me. Listen to "Christmas in Hollis" to get in the spirit, and drink some spirits to get things really going. Don't forget to leave me cookies and some milk. Merry Christmas lad!

Love,

Santa


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is probably a topic that's been torched for a few years now, but I just about finished writing out my Christmas cards this year, and noticed I had to make sure I sent certain ones to places of employment due to different religious beliefs. These were the cards that read "Season's Greetings" or "Generic PC Statement Here." No longer can we send cards that simply say "Merry Christmas," because it may offend some people. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, so we have to make sure we include all the holidays. That's all fine and good. I have no problem with people celebrating different holidays, because I'm pretty sure 90% of Catholics really don't know what we're celebrating on Christmas, but don't make it an unwritten law that I can't wish people Merry Christmas in public.

When I was in elementary school about 15 years ago, these are some of the things we did around this time of year:
*made those red & green Christmas chains to hang around the room
*had a Christmas concert with the chorus & band
*handed out Christmas cards
*had a Christmas party
*had a grab-bag of Christmas gifts
*gave our teacher a Christmas gift
Today, there is a limit to red and green, the concert is now the Winter Concert, Christmas cards are Holiday cards(wtf?), the party is now the Holiday Party, grab bags don't seem to exist anymore, and kids are afraid to give teachers gifts because they don't know what friggin religion they are. Schools can no longer make Christmas decorations, stores have to greet customers with "Happy Holidays," and I'm pretty sure down the road the Rockefeller Christmas Tree lighting will become the Rockefeller Celebration of Cultures, or something of the like.

I refuse to have people tell me what is acceptable or not. So I will be:
*sending out the rest of my Christmas Cards tomorrow
*listening to Christmas music for an agonizing 3 weeks
*wearing a stupid Santa hat for Christmas
*eating Christmas cookies
*wrapping Christmas gifts
*saying Merry friggin' Christmas!
*lighting up my Christmas tree
*and going to church. Go Jesus!

Oh and I almost forgot the Christmas Day tradition of that very special television event-what's it called?...Right, the Pistons/Lakers game. What I'd give to watch the Yule log over Kobe Bryant anyday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home